Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Reminders of my trip up here with my Pop.

The Cassiar highway brought back some memories for me of the trip Dad and I took to Alaska. Granted, we did it at a different time of year! We stopped for food and diesel in Dease Lake, headed north to Whitehorse. It is the same restaurant (with at least one change of ownership,) that Dad and I ate at in Septembeer, 2000 while headed south.




My memory is coming back to me more now though. At the Cassiar/Alcan intersection, I asked Stevan is he was good on gas to Teslin, 140 miles away, and he said yes. As we passed my one, then two, then more gas stations closed for the season, I started to get a little worried. I had told Doug that we'd be crossing over a looong perforated steel bridge, and there would be gas immediately on the right.




I was happy that I'd remembered correctly: Stevan's gas light came on 20 miles outside of Teslin!

I'm writing this from the road. I know the RAM Mount would come in handy, but I really had no idea! This is a very useful item, definitely in the top ten most useful things we've brought along. I'll have to make a list of those!

The Beastie Boy's Paul's Boutique is on loud, and we're cruising at 64 mph up the Klondike Highway headed to Dawson City. The weather here has been nice recently: the road is mostly clear pavement, with sections of ice/snow from time to time. It is a lot better than the Cassiar was.

One of the two sweep Dodges, and a co-member of the informal Team Cummins had his front diff take a crap on him yesterday. Reports vary: pinion bearing went out, diff lost fluid, etc. The only thing we know for sure is that the problem was front end, he dropped the front drive shaft, and is driving back to Seattle in rear-wheel drive.

We'll give you all a report on the day events later tonight, including the first of the Alcan Rally Ice Races!!!

1 comment:

Momo/Paula said...

So glad that you are having good memories of your time with your dad and making new memories. I will watch your little Abby tomorrow and love her up. We will get on this blog and I will show her your pix and speak of your adventures... unless I get locked in the high tower by the evil witchy...I get so frightened until she saves me.