Monday, February 25, 2008

Dan's Internet

24 Feb Blog - I wrote this last night on the way to Liard Hot Springs, but we never found internet. Now, I'm sitting next to some guy's house in Fort Nelson, BC to send this before the next TSD.

Day's summary
Today started with a TSD. The Long Lake TSD was actually a repeat from the last time we were in Whitehorse. We should have had it nailed, but something weird was going on either with our ODO or the stopwatch. We never did diagnose what it was. BIll would say "You're 8 second late", so I'd floor it for a few seconds to keep up. .2 miles later he'd say "You're 11 seconds early"... I'd stand on the brakes and .2 miles later, he'd tell me I was late again. My response each time "Impossible!!" No way were we getting that far off in such a short distance. So, something was goofy. We'll wait for the scores to see how badly we did. It was cold this morning, around -4F, so my theory is that our cheapy stopwatches weren't working very well due to the cold.

The Ice Race was also on the same course as last time on Schwatka lake. I ran the first two runs- the hope was that the ice would be in better shape for the first two runs and I could turn in a more competitive time. Bill also ran one run and then decided we'd rather head back to the hotel than make another run on the deteriorating (traction-wise) ice. It was still a blast! I took some video and caught two cars with "interesting" lines through the finish. See videos. We haven't seen any times for the ice race so we have no idea how we did.

Photo: Bill's feet on the ice course. Looks like it's cracking!



As I write this, we're transiting about 400 miles to Liard River Hot Springs, where we will stay for the night. We're hoping to arrive early enough to spend a little time in the actual hot springs. We're also hoping to have internet access. You'll be the first to know if we do.


Photo: Sign forest we past on the way. This place had thousands of signs!
Chicanery

Last night, BIll caught Stevan Arychuk redhanded as he defaced our "Subaru Recovery Vehicle" decal, making it look like "Subary Wannabe Vehicle". Ha! In response, both Arychuk's and the Team Sirius WRX found a string of Kokannee cans tied to their cars in the morning (though not before driving for a while with them attached!). Yes, we've degenerated to high school pranks. Don't worry. There's an 11pm reading of "War and Peace" later tonight after the math quiz bowl to brighten things up a bit. We've also been playing "Guess the element" over the radio for hours. Did you know that the symbol for Tungsten is "W"? Which seems like a good time to mention that Bill actually said "I sure would like a periodic table of the elements for my wall!". Really. I couldn't make something like that up. So, add it to your shopping list for next year.

No comments: