Monday, February 25, 2008

Liard Hotsprings to Dawson Creek

When I signed on for this adventure, I didn't think that I'd end up sleeping in a for-real log cabin. Overall, it wasn't so bad. The worst part was smacking my head on the loft beam a few times. I finished loading up the truck while Doug went to order us some food in the Lodge.



After a quick breakfast we got out on the road headed east: Destination, Ft. Nelson, 190 miles away. When we passed by Muncho Lake, it seemed very familiar to me, and it took me a few miles to figure out why: Dad and I got stopped there for some road construction for the better part of an hour in August of 2000.

While on the drive, some eagle-eyed, (or should I say wolf-eyed,) Alcan competitor spotted a wolf walking along the frozen river, some ways off. About five cars, ours included, pulled off to look. Doug had a pair of binoculars, which was nice! I've never seen a wolf in the wild before.

We arrived in Ft. Nelson about an hour and a half before our TSD, and were able to get diesel at the pump, and a root beer float at the A & W. Stevan and Kristin found an open wireless connection that allowed Doug to get a quick blog off, and allow us to get some Doo Wops updates off of Special Stage.

Our TSD went pretty well. We were a little rushed at the start, but only picked up 14 points on the whole leg.

From Ft. Nelson to Dawson Creek, traffic got heavier and heavier. Many, many wide-loads of oilfield equipment moving up and down the highway. Just east of Dawson Creek, we had our 2nd to last TSD of the event. We're starting to get this down, only 6 points over 4 controls, giving us 20 points for the day. I think we've fallen to 12th place over all, and hopefully we'll hang on to finish in the top half.

We drove the last 15 or so miles into town with a RCMP following us. We were obeying the speed limit, but it is always unnerving to have a cop follow you. We reached the start of the Alaska Highway, and Keltie, from the Dawson Creek Visitor's Center took our picture, and gave us congratulatory letter from the mayor and an Alaska Highway pin.



Tomorrow: The last TSD, and Jasper, AB.

2 comments:

Mom/Mommo said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog and following your race so much, that I hate to see it end. Looks like you guys have had a lot of fun. What an adventure! Hopefully when you get home you can get some rest.

Mom/Mommo

Anonymous said...

You guys have done great. What an adventure. Keep up the good, safe work. Looking forward to your successful return to Oregon.

PaPa Bill